About The Commission
During the hot summer of 1995, a team of volunteers under the supervision of Dr. Michael Pratt of Heidelberg University working in a beanfield rewrote history.
Conventional thinking had placed the 1794 Battle of Fallen Timbers on the flood plain of the Maumee River. A careful study and reading of first person accounts and primary sources had led Dr. Pratt to believe that the major combat had actually occurred almost a mile north of the river. Battle artifacts discovered in 1995 confirmed Pratts’ theory. As exciting as the discovery of the actual battlefield was, there was a problem.
The site was owned by the City of Toledo and considered a prime location for commercial real estate development. On January 10, 1996 a group of concerned citizens and local history buffs met and formed the Fallen Timbers Battlefield Preservation Commission. The goal of the Commission was and is the preservation and protection of the Fallen Timbers Battlefield. Despite initial opposition from the City of Toledo as well as developers, the Commission was able to gain national recognition of the site.
In 1999 the U.S. Congress passed legislation creating the Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic Site. Under the terms of the legislation, the site is managed by the Metroparks of the Greater Toledo Area. The Commission works with the Metroparks and the National Park System to protect the site and promote awareness of the Battle and events of 1794.
August 20, 1794
The Battle of Fallen Timbers
Fallen Timbers monument dedicated
Dr. Pratt’s archeological survey locates the battle site
Fallen Timbers Battlefield Preservation Commission formed
Legislation creates the Fallen Timbers Fort Miamis National Historic Site
The National Parks Service General Management Plan finalized
The City of Maumee gives title of Fort Miamis to the Metroparks
The Battlefield and the Northwest Territory Walking Trail are opened to the public.